Dear LLNE Member,
My name is Bear and I am getting ready to go on an adventure. My first stop will be the LLNE meeting on October 28th at The Westin Portland Harborview. While you all are learning about law library assessment, I am going to meet with other stuffed animals to discuss best practices for making boys and girls smile and how to be extra huggable. We are preparing to go to Project Smile, which will deploy us to children who are going through a traumatic experience.
I am a little nervous about this journey, and hope you will help by sending lots of nice friends to join me. Since it is LLNE’s 70th anniversary, we’re hoping to send at least 70 of us to Project Smile.
How Can I Help?
- Bring a new stuffed animal to the meeting.
- Stuffed animal must be under 20 inches in length
- Stuffed animal cannot have a year sewn on it
- Stuffed animal cannot have a battery compartment or make noise (sorry Tickle Me Elmo)
- Mail a new stuffed animal to:
University of Connecticut
School of Law Library
39 Elizabeth Street
Hartford, CT 06105
- Bring or mail a monetary donation, and the Service Committee will purchase stuffed animals for Project Smile.
Although Project Smile notes that Build-A-Bears are very popular, you don’t have to break the bank to help out. Here are some stuffed animals under $10:
- You can get double charitable giving bang for your buck at Kohl’s because the net profits from the Kohl’s Care stuffed animals go to children’s charities. There are also literary classics like Paddington Bear and Madeline for the librarians.
As I mentioned before, I’m a little nervous about this journey, and I would love to connect with some of my soon-to-be friends before the meeting. If you’re bringing a stuffed animal, please take a picture and post to Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter.