Closing on: September 11, 2023, at 23:55 EDT
Title: Law Library Assistant
Pay Grade: Grade 13
Starting Pay: $ 54,593.18
Departmental Mission Statement: The Court Services and Law Libraries Department is responsible for providing key court services to
support the administration of justice and advance access to justice in the Trial Court. These services include the Court Service Centers, the Trial
Court Law Libraries, and the Judicial Response System.
MISSION STATEMENT OF THE MASSACHUSETTS TRIAL COURT LAW LIBRARIES:
The Trial Court Law Library System provides timely, efficient access to current and historical law-related information in an impartial and
respectful manner to anyone needing legal information.
This circuit position requires travel and entails working in multiple locations, including the Lowell, Essex, and Middlesex Law Libraries,
and will be based in the Lawrence Law Library.
This position is designated as a union position and is covered by the Collective Bargaining Agreement with O.P.E.I.U., Local 6.
Position Summary: Major duties are performed under the direction of the Head Law Librarian and include processing incoming library materials, preparing fiscal documents, providing general and legal information, and implementing circulation and interlibrary loan policies. The Law Library Assistant assists the Head Law Librarian in system-wide activities such as long-range planning, electronic library services, and special projects, and may be assigned by the Law Library Department to perform Law Library Assistant duties in other libraries as needed. In the absence of the Head Law Librarian and other law library staff, maintains the day-to-day operation of the law library.
Major Duties: Law Library Assistant Duties:
- Processes incoming library materials for supplementation, maintains circulation records, including the database of borrowers, and processes overdue notices using an integrated library system;
- Files loose-leaf services, advance sheets, periodicals, and supplements; removes appropriate material and arranges disposition according to library policy; shelves materials;
- Processes invoices, communicates with vendors about account problems, and maintains accounting records, including budgetary spreadsheet
- Provides reference and information services to those seeking legal information by responding to questions in person, by telephone or through e-reference; locating and retrieving materials;
- performing simple bibliographic searches; and filling interlibrary loan requests;
- Participates in basic e-reference services;
- Maintains and operates library equipment, including computer networks, microform machines, copiers, scanners, and fax machines;
- Prepares current and historical material for binding;
- In the absence of the Head Law Librarian or a Law Librarian, maintains the day-to-day operation of the law library;
- Performs related duties as required.
Minimum Requirements: These are the minimum requirements necessary to apply for the position of Law Library Assistant:
Law Library Assistant I Requirements: Bachelor’s degree AND one (1) year of full-time experience as a paid paralegal OR one (1) year of full-time paid clerical experience in a law library OR An equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to deal effectively and respectfully with people;
- Knowledge of procedures, interlibrary cooperation, and the types of resources and services available to librarians and library users;
- Ability to use computer applications, such as MS Office spreadsheets, text editing, and publisher programs;
- Ability to perform Trial Court fiscal procedures in accordance with the MMARS Accounting System;
- Ability to understand and implement all policies and procedures of the Trial Court Law Libraries;
- Ability to gather, analyze, and report information;
- Ability to reach with hands and arms, bend, crouch, lift materials weighing up to 30 pounds, and climb stairs;
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form;
- Ability to travel to multiple library locations.
Interested persons should visit https://trialcourtjobs.mass.gov/jobs/2c79266c-b772-4dd6-9e44-30c7ef66ed3d to file an application.