Each year, in recognition of its role in furthering the continuing education of its members, the Law Librarians of New England allocates funds to help make possible attendance at LLNE meetings. In 1987, a scholarship to the annual AALL meeting or institute was added to the annual allocation. All members of LLNE are encouraged to apply.
1. The applicant must be a current member of LLNE, with current year’s dues paid at the time application is made.
2. Current Scholarship Committee members are ineligible to receive awards during their tenure.
3. Scholarships will be available to the fall and spring LLNE meetings, and to the annual AALL meeting or institute.
4. Two or three scholarships may be awarded for each of the LLNE meetings. The amount awarded for each meeting may vary, reflecting the registration fee, location and length of the meeting. Generally, an award shall not exceed $150. The number of scholarships awarded for each meeting (0 – 3), and the amount for the particular meeting, shall be determined by the Scholarship Committee with the approval of the Executive Board.
5. One scholarship in the amount of $750 will be awarded to the annual AALL meeting and/or institutes. At the discretion of the LLNE Executive Board additional scholarships may be awarded to the annual meeting.
6. In selecting the award recipients, the Committee will consider the following factors:
a. Lack of financial assistance from employer.
b. Individuals new to law librarianship and/or LLNE.
c. Demonstrated commitment to LLNE or law librarianship.
d. Relevance or expressed interest in particular subject of the meeting.
e. Long-standing members of LLNE who have been financially unable to attend meetings.
7. Priority will be given to applicants who have not previously received a scholarship.
8. If for any reason an award cannot be used as requested, or funds subsequently become available from your employer, the award (or the unused portion thereof) will be returned to the Treasurer of LLNE.
9. A scholarship recipient should be prepared to account for those expenditures covered by the award amount.
10. He or she should also be prepared to share information on the meeting attended with the membership. This may take the form of an article for the newsletter, postings on the blog, etc.
11. No member may receive an award more frequently than every third year. This restriction will apply separately to LLNE meeting awards and AALL meeting or institute awards. Thus, a member of LLNE may be eligible to receive one LLNE award within a three year period and one AALL award within the same three year period.
12. Applications for the LLNE meetings must be received by the Chairman of the Scholarship Committee by the designated deadline date. AALL scholarship applications must be received by April 30.